Wednesday, January 21, 2009

things I like about Minneapolis




1. Kat
How lucky am I to have a friend who is such a splendid collection of different kinds of wonderful? Generous, warm, loving, an excellent conversationalist, a fencer, a beauty, an exceptional brain... did I mention that she writes stories and makes delicious tea?

One day, we are going to write an epistolary novel. We don't know what it will be about yet, but I have no doubt that it will be fun.

2. Neil
Yet another lovely, lovely human being, with a deliciously odd turn of mind. And first-rate hugs. And, actually, all the things I said about Kat, except for the fencing bit and the someday epistolary novel.

3. cats and dogs
Almost every single picture that I took, for the whole five days that I was in Minneapolis, was of either a cat or a dog. Absolutely smitten (how could I help it when wee Siobhan curled up on the end of my bed and slept there for the whole night?).

4. Icicles
I love icicles. They are so alien and strange to my California eyes. They look like glass, or like Christmas decorations, and not like anything that belongs on the edge of a house that's not made of gingerbread.

5. Dreamhaven Books
I bought a copy of LCRW here, and that always makes me happy. Also, some books. I'd have bought more, but greed was tempered by laziness (I hate heavy suitcases).

6. Absurd cold
I don't think I'd want to live in it. But the sheer ridiculous scale of the cold there is kind of amazing. It's like an alien world, so when you go outside, you almost can't believe in it. It feels like a solid thing. It slams into you, and suddenly you're encased in it, and your whole world is just coldness that tries to freeze your lungs into tiny, brittle leaves.

I miss Minneapolis.

No comments: