Friday, June 12, 2009

helpful hints for bookstore customers, part 3

If you ask me what sort of book you should read and then say that you like Laurie Halse Anderson, A Million Tiny Pieces, and stories about people experiencing difficult things, please, please don't then say that you're afraid my suggestions will creep you out and give you nightmares. I still feel guilty about handing you a copy of The Lovely Bones. If I had known you were prone to nightmares, I would have given you something else. More sunshine and less gruesome.

I did not love The Lovely Bones or Special Topics In Calamity Physics or In Cold Blood, but I will still recommend them to you if I think you'll like them more than I did. Just please don't tell me that they give you nightmares.

However, if you feel moved to read me the first page of your favourite book, please do (and, as long as there are no sparkling vampires involved, I mean that). It's a surprising thing to have so much affection for a book that you will read it aloud to a stranger just in case they like it too. It's refreshing.

With thanks,
Me

No comments: