Saturday, May 30, 2009

it's the little things

I am really easily amused. These are little things that have made me snort or giggle or laugh very loudly when I should be seriously contemplating the nature of Literature.

OK, so you probably can't see that. I don't really know how to use the camera on my cell phone. Let me translate the blur: "There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn-- Albert Camus." This is on a rectangular slip of paper, fortune cookie style, taped up in the back of one of the fiction shelves. How jolly. Did someone feel unsatisfied by The Emperor of Ocean Park?

Peter Carey, who I have excessive admiration for, blurbed this writing book. Once again, let me translate my inability to focus on the foreground: "Read it because it will teach you everything you need to know about writing good fiction, whether your characters are having sex or having breakfast. -- Peter Carey, author of the Booker Prize-winning Oscar and Lucinda" How could that not make you laugh?

This is actually in Bell's Books, which is one of my favorite bookstores (there is an upstairs crammed with odd history books, and books bound in leather with embossed titles, and a large globe... and it smells like time). But I quite liked the idea of a shelf of intelligence.

In other news, the magnificent Heather returned from L.A. this week. To celebrate, we went to see Night At the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian. It's amazing. We loved it. No, really, the jokes are hilarious (Hank Azaria as an evil, power famished, Egyptian pharoah with a lisp; Ben Stiller's flashlight martial art; Ivan the Terrible, but really the Awesome; Owen Wilson and Steve Coogan having an epic sword fight with the shoes of Al Capone...) and the visuals are like leaping headfirst into a metaphorical candy store. I adore museums and the idea of one coming to life is just skin-burstingly delightful. There's a scene where Ben Stiller and Amy Adams crash into Eisenstaedt's V-J Day in Times Square, and the weird twisting sensation of seeing that world in motion was impressive. It's sheer fun and it made me progressively happier.

No comments: